Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Geeks, a Treehouse and Alex's Great Story

A Treehouse and cavorting geeks were in abundance at the Innotech-hosted Brain party. If you saw it on Upcoming you should've been there. Zowee. Thank you, Innotech!

The event was held in the very cool Backspace Cafe, it of the mostly famous treehouse and game rooms that I'd wanted to see after reading about it on another PDX blog. I met several great people at the event, most notably Web Designer and Technical Writer Dan. Once we started talking about the Matrix, my plans to network and get some business cards were not looking doable. Things really went to hell when we got onto the Animatrix, and I didn't even get to the part where I confess my love of Shinichiro Watanabe... I love talking to clever people. I took Dan's picture but my camera flash scotched it. Hopefully, there will be another opportunity!

Other people were clearly not who they appeared to be. There was Jonathan, with the tiger hiding under his shirt.












Behind the bar was Alex, who told me how he'd come to live in Portland.

Alex's description of Florida culture had the same dreary cast of castoffs as Los Angeles: self-elected Kings of Consumerville living far beyond their means; breathing in perfectly innocent air and rendering it useless. Alex told me it was clearly time for the journey Away to commence, but to Where? Deciding was done with a coin toss. I was so impressed by this that I forgot to write down where the other city was. Might have been Albuquerque. As we know, Portland won out. He told me he'd only been here about two weeks, when he "felt like someone had given him a present."
I can second that, while wishing I'd put it so enchantingly myself.

1 comment:

Dan Muzyka said...

Hi Su,

I finally remembered to check out your blog! Glad you had as great a time talking with me at the Brain Party as I did with you!

I'll probably get a public blog going on my site www.danobrienmuzyka.com in the next month or so. In the mean time, I'll send you an e-mail with a link to my personal blog.

Dan